Poplar is used by furniture makers who need a low cost hardwood that is easy to work with.
- It is the lightest weight, easiest to work with and least expensive hardwood available.
- Because of its light weight, poplar is not as strong as other hardwoods.
- The natural color of Poplar is not aesthetically pleasing. It has a greenish tinge which does not look good with transparent stains or lacquers.
- As a result of its unpleasant coloring Poplar is often used internally for parts that are not exposed.
- Where the Poplar is exposed, it is usually covered with an opaque stain or paint.
Note: Every time I say that poplar is not as strong as other hardwoods I get emails from woodworkers stating that they use poplar regularly and that it is very strong and a great wood to work with.
Know someone who might be interested in this post? Please like and share this post with them. If you have questions or comments please leave them below.