Which is better, “Palliser” or “Classic Leather”? Our local store sells both. What is the difference?
Sept. 3, 2020
Classic Leather is several levels above Palliser. Classic Leather is genuine high end furniture. Palliser is basically LaZBoy quality upgraded with expensive leather and fancy upholstering.
There is nothing wrong with Palliser’s leather, but their frame construction is shockingly cheap for the prices they charge for their furniture.
- Palliser uses engineered wood frames. This is not even up to the standards of the plywood frames used by many mid-range sofa makers.
- The foundations are made with webbing or low cost spring construction. These types of foundations will last 10 years or more but they don’t add any comfort to the piece.
- Some of Palliser’s seats use pocketed coil springs. They will last far longer than the standard 1.8 density foam used in many similarly styled pieces.
Classic Leather is real high end furniture. Solid wood frames, 8 way hand tied coil construction, and top quality leathers.
- Get the optional spring down cushion upgrade. It is well worth the extra cost.
- The spring down cushions will be more comfortable and will last twice as long as the standard 1.8 density foam cushions.
- Classic’s removable seats cost more, but when they wear out (after 10+ years) they can have the cushion cores replaced at a reasonable cost.
If you are looking at reclining furniture, there are some gaps between the two brands.
- Most Palliser reclining furniture has non-removable seats. If the seats are made with 1.8 density foam it may wear out within 3 – 5 years. Some Palliser models have pocketed coil springs. They will last far longer.
- Palliser’s leather will last 20+ years but the underlying particleboard frame and cheap foundation may not last for half that time period.
- Both companies purchase their reclining mechanisms from 3rd party manufacturers. Palliser has a better selection of mechanisms, using more recent technology. I especially like the Palliser ZG (Zero Gravity) mechanism. Classic Leather’s mechanisms have fewer bells and whistles (and accessories.)
Know someone who might be interested in this post? Please like and share this post with them. If you have questions or comments please leave them below.