I am looking at a Havertys reclining sectional sofa. Regis, is made with top grain leather & 1.8-Density Foam Core Cushions wrapped in a layer of 2 ounce poly-fiber. It has sinuous wire springs & is made in China.
Is this a purchase I will regret? I have asthma and trying to research if leather is better ? I am trying to get something without flame retardants and chemicals that may off gas and make my asthma worse.
April 15, 2021
The Regis collection, from Havertys reclining sectional sofa line, is generic imported leather reclining furniture.
Havertys describes its leather in great detail. The description is carefully worded to make potential customers think that this furniture is made with high quality leather.
Like most people, you missed the one small reference to the fact that this furniture is not all-leather. The Regis Havertys Reclining Sectional Sofa is “leather match.”
- Havertys Regis sectionals only have leather on the inner arms, seats & inside backs. The leather is stitched to a matching vinyl. Most of the sectional, the outside arms, base & back is vinyl, not leather.
Vinyls can be among the worst offenders when it comes to the use of flame retardants and chemicals. There is no way of knowing whether or not the vinyl used in this particular furniture will be toxic to you if you are especially sensitive.
- Another potential problem for all imported furniture is that the containers they are shipped in for the ocean voyage are sprayed with potent chemicals to eliminate insects, rodents and other unwanted vermin. That can be a problem for especially sensitive people.
Spending more for better quality all-leather is not cost-effective for this furniture. Although high quality leather can last 20 years or more, the rest of the furniture will not hold up.
- Leather & vinyl should each last over 10 years, but combining the two decreases their lifespan.
- There is a possibility that the seams will begin separating where the leather meets vinyl. The two materials expand & contract at different rates.
- What limits the lifespan of the Regis reclining furniture is the non-removable seat cushions.
- The seat padding has 1.8 density polyurethane foam. It will last 3 – 5 years for most people before losing its resiliency & comfort.
- The no-sag springs should last 10+ years.
The 2 oz. polyester fiber wrapped around the foam is more than most seating will have in this category. It makes the furniture look puffier and more comfortable when new.
- It will not actually make the furniture feel more comfortable. Polyester fiber quickly compresses, especially if more than 1 oz. is used. That can make the cushions look misshapen or worn out sooner than if less poly-fiber is used.
- The poly-fiber mostly affects the look of the furniture. It has a very minor impact on comfort and does not affect the durability or expected lifespan at all.
It is very expensive to replace the foam in non-removable cushions. Very few people bother. The result is that the average lifespan of reclining furniture in this category is about 5 years before you will want to buy something new.
Know someone who might be interested in this post? Please like and share this post with them. If you have questions or comments please leave them below.