The real problem isn’t cutting up old furniture.
The bigger problem is cutting up new, expensive furniture.
Thousands of people live in brownstones, row houses or other homes built prior to the institution of building codes.
- Residences that were built 100 or 200 years ago simply were not designed to fit much of the furniture scaled for modern homes.
There are a few companies in New York City (and other urban areas with lots of older homes) that specialize in:
- Taking apart furniture (that was not designed to be dis-assembled)
- Fitting it through narrow doors or stairways and then
- Re-assembling it on the other side.
If you value your furniture, this is not a project you want to do on your own.
- Disassembling expensive furniture is not something that can be done by just any furniture repairman.
- Taking apart a $10,000 sofa is like surgery. You really don’t want a first time surgeon showing up in your operating room.
- For one thing, taking apart furniture will automatically void any warranty you may have had.
- Reputable companies that do this type of work guarantee quality and provide insurance (just in case.)
One company that has specialized in this type of furniture surgery for over 20 years in the NYC metropolitan region is Dr. Sofa.
- Since lots of people tend to move their furniture (and get stuck) after normal business hours Dr. Sofa has a 24 hour emergency service.
Disclaimer: I am not associated with Dr. Sofa in any way.
Know someone who might be interested in this post? Please like and share this post with them. If you have questions or comments please leave them below.