“How do I clean my sofa (or couch)?” is one of the most common questions asked by furniture customers.
Many years ago a cleaning code system was developed as a guide for consumers
In this code:
- W stood for water-based cleaners (such as upholstery shampoo)
- S stood for non-water-based solvents.
- WS meant either was OK.
- X meant that there were no recommended cleaning methods. (Silk and embroidered fabrics usually fall into this category.)
These codes give general advice on how to clean upholstery.
But there is actually a much better method available for anyone who needs to clean fabrics or furniture.
- Just use Google (or your favorite search engine.)
- Search for how to clean your specific type of stain from your specific type of fabric.
For example when I searched Google for “What is the best way to clean vomit from microfiber couches?” I came up with the following responses on the first page:
How to Remove Vomit Smell from Microfiber Upholstery
The internet will almost always provide you with excellent and specific advice on how to clean almost any combination of stain and fabric.