I have had a Sherrill sofa since 1999. It’s used daily in our family room & we love it. Reupholstering costs almost as much as buying a new couch. Is it worth it to reupholster my couch?
Mar. 23, 2021
The answer is “Yes!” Sherrill furniture is excellent quality and should be reupholstered if you still like the style.
Although Sherrill still makes excellent furniture, it is not better than the way it was made 20 years ago.
- If you don’t like the style there are some custom upholsterers who can alter the frame and completely change the sofa’s style.
- Unlike many of the large mass produced furniture brands, Sherrill still makes excellent quality custom-built furniture today.
Re-upholstering can be expensive. If that is a concern, there are ways to reduce the cost.
- Current designer fabrics can range in price from $30 to over $100 per yard.
- Every year thousands of these high quality fabrics are discontinued and closed out by the mills, at prices that are 50% off or even more.
- Check out my blog article on this topic. Are 90% off fabric sales really a good deal?
If you do not have any discount fabric stores near you, there are several online who will be happy to send you samples. Your upholsterer will let you know how much fabric is needed.
- Striped or patterned fabrics that need to be matched up require 33% – 50% more fabric.
- Matched fabrics also take more time (and money) to upholster.
If you decide to reupholster, it is important to spend extra to get the best possible cushions.
- The standard 1.8 density foam cushion cores found in most mass produced sofas, have a total lifespan of 3 – 5 years before losing their resilience and comfort.
- Spend another $200 – $300 to upgrade to 2.5 density foam or Spring down cushions that will provide 15 years or more of comfortable seating. (Your Sherrill sofa probably has spring down cushions already, if it remained comfortable for 20 years.)
Know someone who might be interested in this post? Please like and share this post with them. If you have questions or comments please leave them below.